Thursday, April 30, 2009

My London antiques market trail...!

I bought a fab book the other day - The London Market Guide and I just can't put it down! So I thought I would plan out a week at London antiques markets... there are so many that you can visit one every day! Some are only on on certain days, so I know I for one will find this useful to look up if I ever happen to have a free Tuesday afternoon and want to hit a market...!

Monday - Covent Garden
I never realised there was an antiques day at Covent Garden! stall holders include Malcolms Musical Emporium.

and Covent Garden Bottles

Tuesday - Alfies Antique Market - closest tube: Marylebone - Open Tues-Sat. Another one I have to admit I am yet to visit, but have a plan to go this weekend, and I am just TOO excited!

Wednesday - Camden Passage - closest tube: Angel - Open: Wed & Sat.
This is one of my favourites, and although I have only ever visited on a Sat even then it is not too busy and you can stroll around & browse leisurely... be sure to explore every nook and corner as there lots of gems to be found!

Thursday - Greenwich Market - There are 3 parts to Greenwich market, and a browse round the the Village market used to be my favourite weekend pastime, until they recently closed it down to make way for another development of offices or apartments.... I am absolutely gutted, but apparantely one of the remaning parts of the market sells antiques and collectables on a Thursday, so all is not lost. Also on the weekends, the part of the market next to the cinema is worth a look.... I picked up my clock from here for £15.


Friday - Bermondsey Market - 4am - 1pm - you have to be up early for this one! This is another I plan to visit very soon, it is quite near me so I am ashamed to say I have not made it there yet!
The area has been given a bit of a revamp but luckily the market has stayed put, and it a weekly haunt for serious antiques dealers.

Virtual Tourist

Saturday - Portobello Market - no market trail would be complete without a visit to Portobello! Yes, it is a bit crazy on a Saturday, but it has a great buzz, and you can literally spend all day rooting through things and exploring. I do find it slightly more expensive than some of the others so be sure to be pushy and haggle!



Sunday - Columbia Road/Brick Lane - surprisingly a relatively quiet day for antique markets... but Columbia Road flower market is such a great day out, and is lined with some lovely little shops and a few stalls are lurking around too.


So if you are in London, you will know there is always somewhere to go in search of some treasures!



  1. Hello,
    What a beautiful selection of photos.
    Everything looks just super.

  2. Gosh, I wish I were in London right now.... Thanks for the eye candy!

  3. Yes...makes me want some 'market therapy' too!

  4. Oooh I would LOVE to do that... MUST get myself a copy of that book!

    Lovely pics :-)

    Rose XXX

  5. Now that is fantastic and what a wonderful adventure it woul dbe to visit all these markets. I have been to a couple but that book sounds great!

  6. Oh what wonderful markets! I wish we had lots of fab thrify markets like that near us! Boo Hoo!
    Have a wonderful weekend

  7. Could you put me in your pocket please... I would be in seventh heaven amongst that lot.. but it wouldn't take me long to spend what little money I have in my purse...

    Michele x

  8. I love Portobello Market and Brick Lane... Sigh, I wish someone would do one of these for Scotland... or that we had more cool markets in order for someone to write a book on them!

  9. This is a really helpful post as I am planning to take some time off work and trawl the markets... now you've planned my week off for me!

    Victoria x

  10. Mmm, I wonder if I could go to that Bermondsey market before work...not quite sure...!

  11. Thanks so much for this post - it is really useful. I had no idea that Covent Garden had an antiques market on a Monday and I've lived in London all my life!. I will be heading there very soon!

  12. Hi there,

    I'm looking for participants for our new ITV show; Auction Party. I would love to hear from you if you are interested in taking part.
    The general gist of the programme involves hosting your own auction party, with the help of our production team and antiques expert of course, and hopefully make some extra cash too!

    Please do not hesitate to get in touch (clearly stating your name and daytime telephone number in your message):




Pin It button on image hover