Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Create a hanging plate display

Back in November I told you about my plate collecting in preparation for creating a display on our hall wall... and now it is finally complete! I thought I would run through how I did it in case you fancy giving it a go too!

Firstly I bought these yellow invisible plate hangers from John Lewis, they come in different sizes, about £1.50 for the smaller ones so not too pricey....


Give all your plates a good clean, and then lay them out bottoms up. The instructions with the plate hangers says to rub some scouring paste on the back of the plates - I just made a paste using baking soda, a little water and a little salt. Rub this into your plates, rinse clean and leave to dry.


measure up your plate hangers, I found that mostly they overhung the flat part of the bottom of the plate, so I trimmed them all down so they fitted neatly into the flat part.


Then with your fingers, rub some water into the sticky side of the plate hangers until they are gummy, and then stick them to the back of your plates.


Then you need to leave them overnight to dry. Don't worry it is possible to remove the plate hangers at a later date - you just need to soak the plate in warm water, and it will not damage the plate.


Finally, lay out how you want to arrange the plates, and then dig out your hammer & nails!


I started hanging the ones from the bottom first, so they don't end up too low on the wall which would look at little weird. I also found it best to hang the plates as you go along rather than trying to mark out where your nails are going first, so then you can work out spacing as you work. While I stuck to my layout plan, you don't need to be massively accurate.

And here is the finished result!

left-hand bird plate is from TK Maxx, top bird plate is by Lou Rota, right-hand bird plate was bought at Chiswick car boot sale, middle plain cream plate from Mud Puppy at Etsy, all other plates came from Chinasearch.




My favourite plate from the display is the one from Mud Puppy at Etsy, which was a lovely Christmas pressie from my other half....! Its simple but so pretty!



xxx

14 comments:

  1. I love it! I've never seen those plate hangers before either- those are really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely idea. They look lovely on the white wall.
    Love
    Lyn
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing! They look beautiful together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got some second hand plates with these on and they really did just soak off... so make sure you only wipe clean and not wash the plates! They look too nice to lose!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your display looks sooooo good! Thanks for the instructions on how to do this. I'm quite tempted to give it a try!

    Oh and I love the Mud Puppy plate xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really nice display! Your Mud Puppy plate looks like Rosenthal Classic--my wedding china!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love love love it! They look amazing!! (Especially the you are beautiful plate!!) Also thanks for the tutorial as I've always been too afraid to hang any of ours up in case they fell off!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just stumbled across your blog...think im going to be dropping in regularly!...love this idea been thinking of doing something similar for ages...also love the book arrangement post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great displays. I am in the US and can't get them from John Lewis, but found them online here at allplatehangers.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great inspiration, thanks. I would never have thought of this trick.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely display and I would love to create something similar with my own plate collection but I am just wondering if it is possible to stick something like a long thin plank of wood on the wall first - so the holes can be made on the wood rather than on the actual wall? What kind of wood could i use and where could I get it from?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love love love it! They look amazing!! (Especially the you are beautiful plate!!) Also thanks for the tutorial as I've always been too afraid to hang any of ours up in case they fell off!


    Sandaler
    √úbersetzungsdienst

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi! This is beautiful! I would love to buy the "You are beautiful" plate but apparently Mudd Puppy doesnt sell them. Any idea where I could find them? Please let me know.

    Thank you!

    Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover