Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Source, Style, Shoot with.... Selina Lake

As there are so many great interior stylists whose work I love, and feel inspired by, I thought it would be really interesting to find out a little more about them, their job as a stylist and see what tips they have for creating a beautiful home!
So I've decided to run a little series of interviews called "Source, Shoot, Style with..." and first up is the lovely Selina Lake, whose book Bazaar Style is one of my all time faves. Her next book 'Romantic Style' is coming soon!

Hi Selina! So, how did you get into interior styling?
While I was finishing my 'Surface Pattern' course at college I contacted various stylist's asking for work placements and I was lucky enough to get to assist a few of them on shoots. After gaining some work experience I worked freelance as an Assistant stylist for about a year and half and I got to work with a number of stylists on many publications inc Living Etc, YOU & Elle Decoration and then I started getting my own commissions. My 1st commissioned job was for Real Homes magazine and it was about ideas for giving your living room a seasonal make-over - you can see some of the tearsheets from that shoot here.
• How would describe your personal interior style?
I'm a big fan of colour - bright shades of pink actually make me feel happy! I love mixing new with vintage and creating a home, I'm also a fan of florals.
• Where do you shop for your own home?
I love going to flea markets and junk shops, one of my favourites is Kempton Market, I've bought vintage eiderdowns, a lovely little wooden table (i use as my desk) and my enamel bread bin from there. I also really like Zara Home and TKMaxx, plus loads of mail order companies inc Dandy Star, Powder Blue, Lavender Room and of course Patchwork Harmony (actually I'm loving your new handmade coaster tiles at the mo.)
• Is there any particular trends you think will be popular in 2010?
Romantic style interiors will be big this year, my new book 'Romantic Style' is due to be released in Sept but i've already seen lots of peachy, pinks and nude tone homeware products at press shows and preview events, plus florals will be big news this summer and anything with a touch of neon pink will be hot! My 'Romantic style' stationary is available to buy now from Ryland Peters & Small
• Do you have any tips for my readers for styling their own home?
Go for things which you love, my home is full of tea lights, vintage china and pretty fabric cushions. My style is quite mix and match and a bit cluttered so I opted for fresh white walls which keeps my space feeling calm and most of our furniture is painted white. I'm also into soft lighting and have lamps/fairy lights or candles in every room, my favourite candle is 'Baies' from Diptyque the scent is amazing!! and the finishing touch for every stylish home is gorgeous fresh flowers in a vase, my favourites are tulips, peonies, roses, hydrangas and stocks.

Thanks Selina! and can't wait to get my hands on your new book! :)
xxx

1 comment:

Pin It button on image hover