Saturday, November 6, 2010

Bedroom makeover

When we moved into our house last year, the bedroom was painted a deep red, and for a while I thought I was warming to it, but then in the summer it just felt really dull even on bright days, so I knew it had to be lightened up... this is what it looked like then....
Its taken us a while (!) but finally the bedroom has been painted with Fired Earth Pale Cirrus and the chimney breast has been wallpapered with Thornback & Peels pigeon wallpaper...
We have gradually collected up bits and bobs over the years and when I think about it, it is quite a thrifty room! Apart from the bed which was from Heals, and the Lombok throw which was a birthday pressie, the rest of the furniture and accessories were all under £50, in fact most under £20!
The drawers and the wardrobe came from a charity shop along with an old travelling chest, all for £150.  The dressing table mirror was about £5 from Greenwich market.
 The side table with the cupboard came from a car boot sale for £5, and I just changed the handle.  The bedside lamp was from Kempton Park antiques market for about £15, and just needed rewiring (thank you lovely boyfriend!) The sheepskin rug was from Argos, and the alarm clock from Heals.
 The hanging heart of bells was a gift, as was the Roberts radio (ok I know the radios over £50!) The crate as a bedside table was about £12 from our local flower shop.The deer hook was from Caravan for around £18, and the lavender heart is from a gift shop in Brighton.
I made the cushions from a vintage tablecloth, and the bedlinen is from good old TK Maxx!  
This little botancial prints were 2 for £1 in my local antiques centre, hung with mini bulldog clips from Paperchase.  Below is a tile coaster from Patchwork Harmony! (shameless plug -sorry!)
I collected the mirrors from Ebay, car boots and the small one 2nd from left (in pic below) came from a Graham & Green warehouse sale.
These little shelves are from Pale & Interesting - not so cheap at £35 each, but I just love them - apparantely they are old cheese moulds! the cast of a flower is also from there, and the perfume bottle is from Teaspoon Vintage.
This print was bought on Etsy from the lovely Lucy Snow and the star lightshade in the pic above is another TK Maxx bargain.
I'm really pleased with how the room has turned out, as pretty much everything in it has a little memory connected to it about where it came from - for me this is what decorating your home is all about - surrounding yourself with things you love to look at or that has a special memory attached to it.  Claude seems to like it anyway! 


  1. love your make over, the wallpaper is fabulous!

  2. fun! I love your vintage mirror collection....I collect them as well...but love them hanging together...and your botanical prints.....Lovely little vintage touches..through out!!! I'm with Claude on this makeover!

  3. Caroline, it's beautiful and light and calm! Claude seems to enjoy it!

  4. A really lovely room, you must be so happy with it. I couldn't pick any one favourite bit to be honest, it is all balanced so nicely.

  5. love the way you have displayed the botanical prints,so sweet. The room looks fab!

  6. I love your wall of mirrors - you`ve given me an idea for my own bedroom!I also love Claude!Great wallpaper too - very calming.

  7. That is fantastic. You are a girl after my own home styling heart (vintage mirrors, etsy prints, old over new and a splash of TK Maxx). Love the lamp, deer hook and the light from TK Maxx. I may have to look for one of those myself!

  8. I absolutely love your room, you've made it look fantastic!! So many great tips for readers like me to try out so thank you! xx

  9. Love love love it! We nearly got the pigeons for our kitchen instead of the jellies but decided puddings were more foody ;) I adore how you've done the chimney breast and left the fire bit open... and those botanical prints are ace too. Well done you :)

  10. I have a stash of frameless mirrors for our front room, need a few more before we go through the painful yet satisfying process of hanging them all up!


Pin It button on image hover