Friday, March 18, 2011

Vintage Shopping in Hastings

I've been busy this week entertaining a friend visiting from Belfast. And on Wednesday we jumped in the car and headed down to Hastings on the south coast.  Even the sun managed to make an appearance, just as we stepped out of the car and looked out across the glistening sea! But we were in search of one thing - vintage shops!! 

 
And Hastings certainly has plenty of those! We strolled along High Street and nipped down Courthouse Street, poked our noses in boxes and scanned shelves!

I have to say though, I was a tad disappointed that some of the junk shops did not have the best quality junk, if there's such a thing! And I found it more expensive than I'd anticipated. Although saying that, I did buy a lovely wooden lamp base for £1, and was chuffed to find it was working fine when I got it home! 


A quick stop for a good old builders brew in a fish and chip shop...

And then, the hightlight of the day - Butlers Emporium on George Street.  This used to be a traditional hardware shop, but last year it was transformed into this gorgeous boutique.  Lots of the original features are still intact such as these little drawers, although the owner told us she did have to get rid of some of the other (modern) fixtures and strip it back to the lovely bare walls and wood.

It was full of lovely items and I purchased the yellow wire rack on the right in the below pic for my office...

They don't have a website sadly, but if you do happen to find yourself in Hastings this is a must! 


Also worth a peek on High Street, Hastings:
Little Treasures vintage - vintage Clothes and homewares
Made in Hastings - lovely handmade items by local craftspeople
And down Norman Road in St Leonards: 
Eras of Style - great vintage furniture and fittings
x

2 comments:

  1. Hastings looks fab! I have never been...such a Londoner..its on the list. Have a good weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just said to hubby after reading you post ... we HAVE to go to Hastings :) so thank you from me, but not such a thank you from him! :)

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover