Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Look up to the sky

I hope you don't mind me going off topic today, but I've been doing a some fundraising recently and wanted to have a little shout about it!
Firstly, since the earthquake and tsunami hit Japan in March, I have been giving £1 from every order at Patchwork Harmony to the British Red Cross to help with the relief efforts in the country. I have also matched every £1 raised with £1 of my own money.  I think everyone was shocked by the images that came out of Japan that week, so I felt anything we can do to raise even a small amount of money may help.  We've managed to raise £104, so thank you to everyone who supports my boutique and made a purchase since March.

A year ago today I was at the funeral of a 26 year old family friend, the younger brother of one of my very close friends, a lovely young man who did lots for charity himself, and was in fact training for a marathon when he was diagnosed with Leukemia.  An aggressive cancer which took John from us in a very short time.   This weekend I am running the Cancer Research Race for Life, in Regents Park, I am really not a runner, so even 5K is a challenge for me, but I think it is going to be an amazing experience to run with women who are battling or have beaten cancer, plus the power of everyone remembering those they may have lost, I think, will push me through.
Our lives are so crazy and hectic, that every now and again, we should just look up to the sky and remember those who we've lost and those who struggle every day with illness and poverty, this quickly makes me realise that running 5K is nothing in the grand scheme of things.
John and his family will be deeply in my thoughts as I run around Regents Park on Saturday.

You can donate to my fundraising page here: - even if its just £1, this will also be matched by my employer which will double my money!

And finally, one more event which you can come along and get involved in! On the 16th June, I will be collaborating with Yes London to hold an evening of tea, wine, talks & shopping!
Yes London ( are a network for career women who hold events to raise money for the Dress for Success charity who 'promote the economic independence of disadvantaged women by providing professional attire, a network of support and the career development tools to help women thrive in work and in life.' (
We are holding the event from 6:30pm - 8:30pm at the Soho Secret Tearooms in London, we're going to have some great speakers talking about topics such as starting up your own business and networking tips, and we already have some great raffle prizes coming in from the likes of Rose and Grey, Fair Cake and many more!
Patchwork Harmony will also have a small stall of our bestselling products.  Money from the raffle and £1 from every sale on my stall will go to Dress for Success.
if you would like to come to the event, drop me an email at - we are not being hugely strict on the guest list, but it would be good to have an idea of numbers, so do let me know. :)more info is below:

Hopefully see you there!

top image from Morning Light in my room

1 comment:

  1. Dress for success is one of my favourite charities. I think people are good at responding charitably in crises and giving to charities that speak to the experiences of friends and family but we sometimes overlook the people struggling to get a leg up. Well done for organising this event, see you there.

    Oh and good luck on Saturday.


Pin It button on image hover