Monday, May 7, 2012

Upcycled China


I think vintage china will always have a special place in my heart.  There are so many variations to be found, and of course we all know it looks great when mixed together for an eclectic tea party.  Not to mention you can pick it up at car boots sales across the country for next to nothing.  But if you find yourself getting a little bored of this look, there are lots of artists who are putting their spin on the vintage china trend, giving a slightly more edgy feel.  I think the first time I came across this idea was when I found Lou Rota's work; Lou adds a plethora of birds and bugs who scurry through the original floral patterns...


Esther Coombs goes for a more urban theme, illustrating buildings such as London's Gherkin on vintage plates and housing estates on teapots.

 Esther has also used broken pieces of china to create seedmarkers for the garden, which Patchwork Harmony stocks.... so she's the one that buys the broken china under the table at the car boot! :)





These are currently reduced to £6.50 each in our stock clearance sale. View here

Melanie Roseveare, creator of Melody Rose, has a slightly more macabre and surreal take on her upcycling, featuring skulls and anatomical drawings... although her Urban Nature range offers a classic selection of birds and butterflies....
Finally Ali Miller's work has been inspired by personal experience, family history, religion and identity, to create her quirky and surrealist collection....
Some of Ali's work has been featured on TV in Sherlock Holmes and a recent 'holidaying in Britain' advert! How great would it be to see Stephen Fry drinking out of one of your creations!

And if you fancy having a go at upcycling some china yourself, I spotted this great little DIY project over on Florence Finds last week.
 xxx

4 comments:

  1. Such a super round up! I love mismatched china and also would love to produce a range of upcycled china!x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! Upcycling or recycling to make something beautiful again is our number one philosophy! Waste not want not after all! I love these garden signs - very innovative!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, I'm in love with that flamingo plate! That and the teapot with the buiding and flowers on it. I may have to do some online shopping soon...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE the Esther Coombs ones, the stark architecture against the florals are so cool! I have to say, loads of people love the insect ones, but they give me the heebie-jeebies.


    I am going to attempt some lettered ones for Christmas this year. Yes I am think that far ahead. I think about Christmas all the time.

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover