Monday, August 6, 2012

the most sparkling of bulbs...

Next month sees London Design Festival open its doors again, and although I don't usually get a chance to go to much, and I am not hugely interested in 'contemporary' design, I do like to see the designers who are influenced by nostalgia and heritage.  Lee Broom is a relatively new designer, only setting up his company 4 years ago, but he has firmly cemented himself in the London design scene.
He is one of the designers who stands out for me and I just love the fact that for the festival he transforms his studio into an exhibition space - this year dubbed 'The Crystal Bulb Shop' - Lee's take on the traditional general store. The centrepiece will be over 200 of his sparkling crystal bulbs suspended from the ceiling which he collaborated with Cumbria Crystal to create.  Lee's ethos of working solely with British craftsmen is admirable and reiterates the fact he is not only a great British designer, but also one who supports Britain's heritage for manufacturing great products.


What I love about these bulbs, is that Lee has made a functional item truly beautiful - and while you may think £90 (special LDF price) for a bulb is a little extravagant - bear in mind that the bulb is the object here - not to be covered with a shade!  I often find lighting is one of the hardest things to get right, I generally hate many lightshades and fittings I see, so for me something this simplistic but beautiful is perfect.

Check out more about Lee on his website, I really love some of his interiors for bars and shops, my fave is this bar in Cardiff called 10 Feet Tall

1 comment:

  1. I love these. I totally agree that it is so hard to find a light I like. Pity I don't have any hanging lights in the house.

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover