Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Tearooms, pink houses & lots of rain

As I mentioned in a previous post, last weekend myself and the other half packed ourselves into our little Mazda and headed for the country. Before we left the house on Friday, the news was of course reporting of the awful flooding that was happening down in Somerset. And where were we headed?! yeah you guessed it! But hey, we like an adventure, so off we went. And in fact, when we arrived Friday lunchtime the sun was shining! On Friday evening we had dinner at the Lord Poulett Arms in Hinton St George - well worth a visit if you are down that way. Saturday the rain returned but we wrapped up warm and went off exploring. We drove up into Exmoor, it was so beautifully autumnal, the colours so rich and the mist made everything magical!
I got slightly obsessed with all the pink houses I was spotting! I decided if we ever move to the country, I want a pink house!  


We visited Porlock Weir on Saturday and in the evening, we had dinner at Tarr Steps Farm - and luckily our lovely B&B host transported us there and back in his 4X4, because by the time we were coming home the flood waters were pretty high, and there is no way our little Mazda would have coped! Below are a few snaps from our lovely room at Middle Upcott Farm near Dulverton.  I'd really recommend this B&B if you are staying on Exmoor. Lovely people and a beautiful farm house filled with lots of vintage finds and pretty things!


On Sunday we headed over to a little village called Dunster where we had tea and cake, and wandered around taking pics of some of the beautiful autumnal plants...


And I managed to find my favourite shop of the trip there too! Horse and Crook is a beautifully styled boutique, filled with a mix of vintage items and rustic style things for the home. The lovely owner allowed me to take a few snaps to share with you.... as you can imagine I did not leave here empty handed! :)


We had a fab time celebrating our 10 years together so far, doing the things we love - exploring, eating and shopping! happy anniversary to us! :)
xxx

6 comments:

  1. Somerset look lovely! Your photos are beautiful, really atmospheric I may have to add this place to my places to go list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos of one of my favourite places in England! I love all the pink houses too, husband far less keen though. Somerset does have a lot of them, as does Suffolk too. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks idyllic - I want to paint my house pink now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Anniversary. I love, love the forest photos. They make the forest look like a magical place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I grew up in Somerset, those pink cottage have taken me right back to my childhood!

    Beautiful photography, as always :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Indeed a happy anniversary to you both and what a lovely weekend you had, and gorgeous photos too! X

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover