Tuesday, December 18, 2012

A rustic, natural Christmas table

We are hosting Christmas this year at our house, and as I mentioned before, as we are saving for our wedding we wanted to create simple decorations that weren't going to cost much. I've already made a garland for the fireplace using leaves we collected in Richmond Park, so I decided to carry this natural theme through to the Christmas table. I turned to Pinterest to get a little bit of inspiration which is rife with beautiful Christmas ideas at the moment! This is the kind of look I wanted to go for... (you can see more ideas on my Christmas pinboard)
Photos via Pinterest
I loved the idea with the cinnamon sticks as not only do they look great, they also will make your room smell lovely! I ordered these extra long sticks on eBay for a couple of quid. I found a few French linen teatowels I had in a drawer and decided they'd be put to better use as napkins! So cut them in half and added a hem.  Then I went scavenging in the garden for some rosemary and bay leaves... again adding delicious foodie aromas to your decorations! Then simply bound the lot up with some twine...
I also loved the idea of adding rosemary around tealights - so  I did this in the centrepiece. I got a piece of thin wire and entwined it with the rosemary sprig and then wrapped it around the tealight holders. The little berries with the bakers twine actually came in a gift box from Kiehls! So I thought I'd reuse it, but you can get similar in any bag of Christmas pot pourri.
I whipped out the good old gold spray paint again and sprayed a few glass jars and tin cans to add a little bit of shimmer to the table, and then finally added some pine cones and dried limes which we found in the supermarket.

All pics: Patchwork Harmony

The only real expense here was the vintage French linen tablecloth which I ordered from Etsy, but even that was only about £25 including delivery from France, and is obviously something which I can use all year round. Even the flowers I picked up from the reduced section in Waitrose for just £1.49!

So there you go! Save on your table decorations and there'll be more money left for wine and mince pies! 

Merry Christmas everyone! xxx

PS... if you happen to want to pin any pics you can find them on my Flickr page!

5 comments:

  1. Love your natural Christmas decorations!

    Merry Christmas Caroline!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas too. Me gusta que la Navidad no sea tan convencional.que se pueda usar y reciclar cosas de la naturaleza.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks gorgeous. I am sure all your guests will feel very special sitting at your table for Christmas dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My very favourite are the star anise wreaths, and the candles in jars with mini wreaths. Be still my beating heart! Enjoy your rustic Christmas lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks perfect for Christmas. Like how red and gold takes a back seat to the natural hues (linen, pine cones, greens).

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover