Tuesday, January 29, 2013

DIY: Jam jar lid decorations

I've been collecting jam jars for a good few months now for our wedding.  The whole time I've also been putting the lids aside as I was sure there was something I could find to do with them! I knew if I threw them away I see a great project online or think of something and regret binning them!

Then lo and behold a few weeks ago I was in a relatively new shop in Kingston called Tiger.  They are a Danish brand with quite a diverse range of products and is really affordable. I only go in there on a weekday if I can as on the weekends it is jam packed! Anyway, I can across these flower and bird 'stickers' which, if I remember rightly were 2 sheets for £1. Inspiration struck and I grabbed them along with some plasti-kote spray paint. My jam jar lids were in for a treat!

First thing to do  was to select a group of lids of varying sizes and spray paint them.  They needed about 2-3 coats to get a good even coverage. Then once these were dry I was ready to apply the stickers. Unfortunately when I went to unpeel them, they didn't seem to be stickers after all... But not to be defeated, I got myself some spray mount, cut the designs out with a craft knife, and got sticking.

Here I've used them as a wall display, almost like a vintage plate display. You could have as many or as few as you liked on even just add one onto your inspiration wall to add texture. You could also hang them up with bakers twine in a window, or as a hanging mobile. Or you could just use them back on their jars if you are not using the jars for something else like me! :)

Such an easy little project to do, and I think looks really cute! What do you think?!  xxx


  1. Great idea! so pretty :)

    Bee happy x

  2. Love this! Tiger is the best shop! Thanks for the heads up on the stickers!

  3. very pretty, and quite easy too:)

  4. What a brilliant idea! These are gorgeous!

  5. Hello, found you via Selina Lake - very pretty :) xx

  6. What a fabulous idea!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

  7. These look good enough to eat! Another great way to treat jar lids is to soak them in Dettol for a few days - all the paint comes off leaving you with a nice shiny silver coloured lid.

  8. Wonderful idea! Jam jar lids are too often just discarded, but this is a really creative way to use them and it looks great! I love that the possibilities are endless for designs, my mind is a-flutter with inspiration!


Pin It button on image hover