Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Mix and Match florals

The last week has been a tad depressing. Not only has the weather been rubbish, I've also been struck down with the worst flu I've had in years.  But it is the time of year when we can at least start thinking about brighter times, and with Valentines this week, and Spring (hopefully!) just round the corner, it makes me think of one thing that never fails to make me smile: flowers. I'm already feeling more cheery just thinking about them! :)

Now some people might say that too much floral pattern in the home can be chintzy or that mixing patterns doesn't work, but if done well, which it is by the likes of Dottie Angel and Selina Lake, then it can look really fresh, pretty and uplifting. Yes it is girly, and I'm not sure if I would get this look past my other half, but I have to confess I am really into it right now!

pic via Dustjacket
I think the main thing to make it work seems to be that, although the patterns appear mismatched, there is generally a common colour running through, so for example in this first image, all the cushions feature shades of pink, so it ties them all together, and it means its ok for the patterns to be of different sizes as they compliment each other. 

I also love the idea of hanging vintage floral plates and/or floral paintings on top of a bold patterned wallpaper! You don't need to go mad, just a choice piece here and there. Or you could hang the objects on a facing plain wall to subtly reflect and compliment the floral wallpaper.

via Homelife

via Underbaraclaras



©Ryland Peters & Small / CICO Books

via Selina Lake  (for Period Living)

via Dottie Angel

Selina Lake's bedroom - via House & Home

via Daisy Park

What do you think? Could you mix and match your florals in this bold way? And do you think the man in your life can live with it?! Would love to hear what you think!

More floral inspired interiors on our Pinterest page. 

xxx

8 comments:

  1. I love these ideas - I think the bold colours used (in the first and second to last image) really help make it work, as well as the furniture already used in the room.

    I'm not sure I'd be bold enough to use mix and match florals, but I could imagine it'd be great in a study or girls bedroom.

    By the way, I've just discovered your blog and I love it - I'll definitely be coming back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous uplifting blog post Caroline!

    Thank you so much for sharing these stunning floral images...the perfect antidote for a wintery overcast English day.

    Hope you feel better very soon.

    Rona x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the beautiful inspiration, I am longing for spring and the happy floral fabrics are like a breath of fresh air!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post has completely revived my love of florals. Such beautiful inspiration.

    I think florals can be made more man-friendly if the colours are right. Obviously pastels are beautiful but very feminine, whereas brighter hues such as royal blue, deep red and greens can be more masculine. Also, pairing it with cool geometric patterns might make it more appealing ;)

    Hope you feel better soon by the way; the flu is rotten!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All those pictures are gorgeous! *pins frantically* :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The juxtaposition of patterns and textures is the way to go, you have to take a leap of faith sometimes and just do it. I enjoyed reading this post, lovely x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have always loved the floral mix, big fan of mixing patterns and colours. Makes houses very fresh and happy, juts what we need to go through this long and cold Winter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. where did you find the armoire, i am in love!!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover