Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Facing your fears & new hobbies

You may remember way back in January I told you how my new years resolution was to overcome my fear of public speaking and, as fate had it, I'd been asked to speak at a blogger conference called Cybher this year? Well after a good few months of quietly agonising over the impending talk, the big day finally arrived on Saturday just past. Public speaking is something which I don't think comes naturally to many people, I imagine if its something you have to do regularly then after a while it becomes easier. But considering the last time I'd done anything like this was in front of my classmates at university over 10 years ago, the whole thing was really quite daunting! I even went to the extreme of taking an evening class in public speaking and voice projection at City of Westminster College in preparation for the event. I do think this helped me as it gave me the opportunity to stand up each week in the class and talk and just gain that practice which I think is so important.



On Saturday I actually woke up feeling quite confident and ready to take it on. I decided the best way to face these things is to try and convince yourself that you are going to love it, not hate it. But still, this positive mental attitude wasn't quite enough to quash my trembling knees and pounding heart as I sat on stage watching my co-speaker Natasha of Candy Pop deliver her talk to the 100+ women in the room. When my time came, I must say initially I was nervous, but once I got into my 10 minute talk, I actually started to enjoy it! Perhaps your body can only take up to a certain level of stress before it starts to calm itself down, or you just suddenly realise that its not so scary after all! The adrenalin rush and sense of achievement afterwards was pretty immense, and I was so proud of myself for just going ahead and doing it.

Whenever I was first asked to speak back in January, my initial thoughts were 'how do I get out of this?' - but I am so glad that I decide to challenge myself and do it. A couple of days before the event I seen a tweet from Jane Toft, the editor in chief of The Simple Things & Mollie Makes magazines, which was a quote that simply said: 'Life begins at the end of your comfort zone'. This was so poignant for me at that time before the talk, as I realised that these are the kinds of things in life that really make you feel alive. Those things that genuinely scare you and challenge you to the limit, but afterwards are the most rewarding and exhilarating.

If you were at the talk on Saturday I'd love to hear what you thought! Constructive criticism welcome! Also, a huge thank you to my fellow ' living the lifestyle dream' bloggers, Natasha and Rachelle, it was amazing to be talking with such talented ladies! And thanks to Sian for putting on the event, no mean feat that's for sure!

It was a well organised event with lots of great talks going on, as well as a delicious lunch and one of my favourite things of the day - the Mollie Makes and Homebarn collaboration, where a beautifully styled 'nook' was set up so you could sit down, relax and learn to crochet! Something I've been wanting to learn for ages. Now I say relax, but I'm not sure if I was particularly relaxed as I battled with the crochet hook! But it really is quite the addictive activity, and I've since been glued to YouTube, trying to perfect my granny square!








It definitely was an invaluable experience and I've already signed up for my next public speaking engagement in July! And I hope to share my first completed granny square with you soon!

Whatever it is that scares you in life, just remember the quote: 'Life begins at the end of your comfort zone' - it's now stuck next to my computer screen to remind me never to consider turning down great opportunities again because of my own personal insecurities.  I suggest you do the same...!

xxx

17 comments:

  1. I honestly loved your talk, you didn't look nervous you looked very at ease. You inspired me so much to believe that if you work hard you can achieve dreams, I am so pleased to have heard you, I have been looking through your mag since cybher, going to put them on my iPad tonight.
    Thanks you for coming xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks again Kara! So great to hear from someone who was in the audience, and that the talk did its job - to inspire! :)
      enjoy catching up on the back issues of 91!
      xx

      Delete
  2. You are so inspiring hun, massive respect to you, not sure I could ever be that brave - I'm really looking forward to your talk at Paperfest! Dream big! Awesome pics too! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you hun! I'm really looking forward to that one now, I think I'll be getting inspired by all you paper girls! ;)
      xxx

      Delete
  3. Well done for overcoming your fear, I was so sad not to be able to make it to Cybher - I'm sure your talk was amazing! I am also not one for speaking publicly....probably not helped by the drama teacher at school always shouting at me in assemblies because I wasn't 'projecting' enough. Anyway...rant over ;) well done again and when you master the granny square please help me - I have all the gear & no idea!!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Ailie, I don't think anyone really enjoys public speaking! But you should definitely take the opportunity if it comes up sometime, I found its really not as scary as it seems.
      and def get yourself on YouTube for crochet lessons, there are some really comprehensive ones! xx

      Delete
  4. Well done on overcoming your fear. But an even bigger well done for taking up crochet! It's the most amazing hobby to have. Once you're hooked on crochet, you're hooked for life. YouTube is great for learning to crochet (that's how I learned). Just remember that there are US and UK crochet terms so make sure you watch a video that is appropriate for how you were taught at the Mollie Makes event. I presume they would have taught you in UK terms...? Natasja (crochetime.wordpress)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Natasja! I just popped over to your blog and have bookmarked your how to's! Will be having a look later! and good tip re UK and US terms, I would never of knew that! :) xx

      Delete
  5. A gorgeous post and you were amazing - a total inspiration. Thank you for a fabulous day! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Natasha! So were you!!! Think we made a great little lifestyle team! :)

      Delete
  6. Huge congratulations! Looked like such a great day :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really wanted to be there! Congrats on your talk, and good luck with the crochet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is very timely, I am terrible at public speaking - I have ended up crying before a presentation before - and I am doing a funding presentation on Friday.

    I shall take courage from your courage!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Please do Lisa-Marie! Remember no one really enjoys talking in front of people, you're definitely not alone! and no one wants to see you do badly, generally they are just there to hear the information you are delivering. Loads of deep breaths beforehand really helps to relax you too. Good luck!! X x

    ReplyDelete
  10. well done you!!

    also, this event looks fantastic, i am loving the decor!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover