Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Current obsession: Patchwork floor tiles

So as I mentioned in my previous post about our honeymoon, I have recently become a little obsessed with tiles. When we were in Italy, we'd walk into an old church with fantastic architecture and artifacts which everyone else was studying, but I would find myself just staring at the floor in awe of the beautiful old tiles!

Since we got home, we've started planning some home improvements as we are no longer putting every penny into wedding savings! And one of the first things we've bought is, you've guessed it, tiles! We've started off small scale with our little porch area which was pretty battered and tired and with a horrible dark blue gloss paint dado rail. We've bought some Limehouse green crackle graze metro tiles from Tons of Tiles (which was great by the way - ordered on Sunday, arrived first thing Tuesday morning, and we were able to order all the supplies for doing the tiling too, saving us a trip to B&Q)  Anyway, we plan to get cracking with that this weekend, so I will share the results once its all finished.

The other idea I am currently toying with it going for a patchwork tiled floor in the kitchen (once we get the building work done) Its a little scary as its quite a bold statement and I usually tend to play it a bit safer than this, but I do think it looks lovely, and it would only be a smallish area, not the entire room. What do you think?

We could either go for something really bright and clean like these from WorkHouse...

This is the floor of the High Road Brasserie is Chiswick which I think looks fab....


One of my favourite shops, also in Chiswick, The Old Cinema has recently installed a patchwork tile floor... I love that this one is a bit more muted in colour and looks nice and old and rustic.... this was installed by the Reclaimed Tile Company.

I also love how they've been used in this hallway... it really adds a lovely punch of colour against the white walls.

via Pinterest
This home in Vietnam has really went for impact with the tiles in this outdoor space and I think they look great next to the dark wooden furniture...

via a21studio
 If you'd rather go for a smaller area, then a bathroom is perfect like this example also from the Reclaimed Tile Company.... 

Or if you don't want to commit to a floor then this is a lovely idea to top a table or set of shelves....

via 101woonideeen
I'm absolutely loving the colour palette in this next shot, if I could find tiles to fit this colour scheme I think I'd definitely go for it...

via Pinterest
These ones from the Reclaimed Tile Company are the closest I've found, but are pretty pricey as they are actual antique tiles and are around £9-10 per tile! yikes!
Armatile, based in my native Northern Ireland, do a slightly more affordable range at around £42 per square metre, these are digitally printed onto porcelain tiles, so not the same authenticity but easier on the old bank balance! 
I'd love to hear your thoughts! And if anyone has any tips on where to track down those peach and gray coloured ones for a reasonable price I'd greatly appreciate it!

xxx

15 comments:

  1. When I first thought of the idea, patchwork tiles, my first reaction was no, too busy! But seeing all of these, I quite fancy it in my bathroom. These reclaimed quarry tiles were so easy to get about 10 years ago, I'm not sure now. But worth checking out. Oh and congratulations my dear! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these !! So gorgeous ! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the look of patchwork tiles although I think they have to work with the overall style of the house and you could easily overdo it (the house in Vietnam above I think has just a little too much). If you have an older house with lower ceilings, I think reclaimed smaller tiles in a small area could look great, but if you've got something newer or Victorian with higher ceilings, I love the bright ones - especially for hallways as in one of your pix here. Suspect that they look better in spaces like hallways and bathrooms because they aren't competing with other textiles / decorations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these but I think it's quite a bold move as you'd have to be sure you're going to love them in ten years time (assuming you intend to be in the same house) as it's quite an outlay and a statement. The more muted colours (yes, the pricey vintage ones) are therefore a safer bet, I think, and I agree with Debbie (above) that they are great in halls (like originals in Victorian houses) or in loos because they can steal the show. Oooh look forward to seeing what you go for...
    Hen x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks amazing, I'm definitely in love with this style. It would look perfect in my kitchen! xx


    Martyna | NEON MIZZLE

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just heart patchwork tiles so much, I'm having them on the walls in the bathroom, I've found some gorgeous ones from a Cornish company

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are amazing - thank you for sharing! I especially LOVE the pink tile on the worktop. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We just love these tiles and have a box full waiting to be used. These would look amazing as a floor or a utility wall or just about anywhere, would love to try a table top. Thanks for showing us these inspiring images - we must put them to good use and will show you what we do. Good to meet up soon x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Caroline, I love love love these tiles! I wouldn't necessarily have thought about doing that before, but they give such a lovely Mediterranean, holiday feel! I think I'd use them outside if I was going to do it and create a lovely holiday villa alfresco feel!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm really inspired by this post. Look at all those lovely tiles. I'd better start collecting :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have inspired me here in the US. LOVE them and all the ideas are brilliant. We have a company here that would be cheaper on the pocketbook but a bear to mail....hope you find an affordable source for the peach and grey....amazing! Audrey

    ReplyDelete
  12. Go for it, too many people go safe and boring. Decorating is supposed to be fun. I just walked through three new houses friends built and nothing was fabulous, it was all standard, nice but standard. Do something fun and different, that last shot is so great.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love them. So much that I am considering doing this in out own (miniscule) kitchen. LOVE LOVE LOVE.

    ReplyDelete
  14. For some really subtle shades, try AlhambraTiles in South London - we also have some brilliant monochrome patchworks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a great blog, usually I don't post comments on blogs but I would like to say that this post really forced me to do so!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover