Sunday, August 4, 2013

Weekend project: Doily cushion

Recently I've been trying to fit a bit more crafting time into my life, and now have about 3 projects on the go (i'm still working on that patchwork quilt!) but this week I decided I was going to run up a quick cushion cover, something you can literally do over a weekend. I've kind of combined a project from the Liberty book of Home Sewing with one from Granny Chic. I surprised myself with how easy it was to make a round cover which I'd always thought looked more challenging than the square version. How wrong I was!

I can't say I can share a definitive pattern with you, as I am a slightly slapdash crafter sometimes... I tend to make it up as I go along! But roughly, I had a 45cm diameter cushion pad, cut 10 strips of fabric approx. 14cm x 45cm, machined stitched these all together long ways then joined the first and last together to make a tube shape. (the fabric is inside out at this point) Then running stitch around one end of the tube, gathering the fabric as I went, then pulled the thread tight, and stitched the gathers together to secure. Turn it the right way out and put the cushion pad inside with the gathers in the centre of the cushion. Then do the same with the other end of the tube - running stitch around the edge, gathering the fabric, and then tuck the rough edges inside and stitch to secure. You can now either cover the centre of the gathers with a nice big button, or like I did, inspired by Granny Chic's authors Tif and Rachelle, add some vintage doilies. This was actually the most time consuming part as you have to handstitch them on from the centre out.  I kinda forgot to take any good pics of the process, these are just a few iPhone shots and not useful at all, but I hope you like the finished product! Such an easy little project, I'll definitely be making a few more of these I think!



  1. Looks amazing, I love the colours you combined! xx

    Martyna | NEON MIZZLE

  2. It's gorgeous - well done. I love the fabrics you've used.

  3. I love doily cushions, just don't know why they haven't really caught on in the UK yet. Maybe this lovely one will start a new trend.

  4. I just love this and was inspired to make the sexiest little pincushion using the same idea!

  5. What a pretty cushion! Love the floral fabrics and lace together.


Pin It button on image hover