Thursday, September 5, 2013

DIY: Easiest fabric bunting ever!

So we've been trying to give our garden a little bit of a quick makeover, I know its a bit late in the summer now to be doing it, but we have had a hectic year so far! It's nice to finally get round to doing these little things around the house. Last weekend we gave the shed a coat of paint to hopefully try and protect it a little over winter. I swear it's going to collapse one of these days, what with the foliage that has grown over its roof from next doors jungle garden. But at the same time we kinda like the fact the shed looks like its got hair! We just have to cut it a lot! Anyway, I thought I'd make some bunting to brighten up the exterior. Terrys Fabrics sent me some lovely fabrics this week to get creative with, and I thought this quite 'foliage-y' but retro print fabric would look nice in the garden.

I thought I'd go for rectangle flags as I'm a bit sick of triangles one,  plus they are easier to cut! This bunting really is SO easy to make, I literally whipped it up in an evening.  It's not rocket science, but I thought I'd share the tutorial anyway! :)

What you'll need:
*fabric of your choice
*piece of paper
*pins
*pinking shears
*sewing machine or needle and thread
*ribbon or string
*ribbon tool

How to make:
Step 1) Create a template for the flags. I just folded an A4 piece of paper to get the size. Then use it to cut out the flags using pinking shears. This saves on any hemming, and I really like the zig-zag edging on it. 

Step 2) I used my sewing machine, but you could also do this by hand. Fold over the top of each flag and stitch the edge to the back of the flag, creating a little gap to thread through the ribbon. Try to get your flags all the same size.

Step 3) Use your ribbon tool (or a big darning needle if using string) to thread your ribbon through the flags.

Step 4) Finally, to keep the flags in place, just sew a couple of stitches at the top two corners of each flag to secure it to your ribbon. Make sure you have the spacing how you want it first!

As a bit of an experiment I am trying out this waterproof spray which I found in Lidl. I don't know if anyone has ever tried this for this kind of thing, but I thought as its supposed to protect fabrics and leather it might protect my bunting from the elements! We shall see! I just sprayed this front and back of the flags and ribbon.


And there you have it! Easy peasy bunting! I will let you know how the waterproof spray goes! I think we're expecting rain tomorrow! I will also share some of the rest of garden next week, we are just building a little plant shelf first!




Thanks again to Terrys Fabrics for the lovely fabric they sent me to craft with! x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover