Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Home tour with Lisa Levis

Today I'm sharing a little peek inside the home of the lovely Lisa Levis (nee Stickley). I've admired Lisa and her work for years, and am inspired by her hard-working and 'never give up' attitude. I met her recently, very briefly, at an event we were both speaking at, and she is indeed a lovely, friendly and warm person too.

Katie of Apartment Apothecary and photographer Katharine Peachey recently visited Lisa's home to shoot the interiors and interview her, so I'm honoured to share some of these lovely images and extracts from the interview...

the home interiors of designer Lisa Levis

the home interiors of designer Lisa Levis - kitchen
Lisa has decoupaged the kitchen cupboards with vintage knitting magazine pages - such a wonderfully unique idea - and certainly makes the plain white units much more exciting!

Katie asked Lisa:

How has your work as a designer influenced your home?
“It’s all pretty much one and the same, work blurs into the rest of life automatically in everything I do. I’m very lucky to be doing what I love, and I don’t ever really switch off. As a designer I like to surround myself with things that inspire me and my home is no exception. It’s a great place to showcase things I have collected, and experiment with colour, furniture and interesting objects, paintings, bits and pieces that inevitably go on to inspire my work one way or another, be it in a print, a bag shape or styling a shoot. My husband is a designer too and we love collecting pieces of furniture from our travels, so it has been great moving from a one bedroom flat to a three bed, having to decide what will go where and finally have a home for everything. I think things seem to take on a different lease of life moved around and placed in different environments.”

the home interiors of designer Lisa Levis - kitchen

the home interiors of designer Lisa Levis - kitchen

the home interiors of designer Lisa Levis
These chairs are waiting to be upholstered - although they are almost like an art installation as they are!

How did you go about planning your recent renovation? Did you collect ideas and plan each room meticulously or was it more organic than that?
“The bare bones and main d├ęcor were pretty well planned ahead with the accessories and bits and pieces for each room collected and gradually added as and when. We were waiting for quite some time to move so I had a lot of months for ‘planning’. Meticulous is probably quite accurate… I downloaded the floor plan from Right Move and started with the flat as a whole in my mind so as to create a complementary eclectic theme throughout. I then worked on planning room by room with individual folders of colour, floor detail, furniture thoughts etc for each. I’m a bit of a planner… don’t do last minute!”

the home interiors of designer Lisa Levis - living room

the home interiors of designer Lisa Levis - living room
The fab green sofa was from Heals and was a wedding present, instead of lots of little things. The artwork above the sofa are line drawings Lisa created when designing her Ada Rose range.

the home interiors of designer Lisa Levis - living room

the home interiors of designer Lisa Levis

the home interiors of designer Lisa Levis - living room

the home interiors of designer Lisa Levis

the home interiors of designer Lisa Levis - living room

the home interiors of designer Lisa Levis

the home interiors of designer Lisa Levis - hallway

the home interiors of designer Lisa Levis

the home interiors of designer Lisa Levis - bathroom
The vintage medicine cabinet was found at one of Patchwork Harmony's fave markets - Sunbury Antiques held at Kempton racecourse.

the home interiors of designer Lisa Levis - bedroom

the home interiors of designer Lisa Levis

the home interiors of designer Lisa Levis

the home interiors of designer Lisa Levis - bedroom
The Designers Guild wallpaper creates real impact in the bedroom while accessories are kept to a minimum so as not to become too fussy. I love how the stacks of magazines and books create a real lived in feel, and also makes me feel better than I'm not the only magazine hoarder! :)

the home interiors of designer Lisa Levis - bedroom

the home interiors of designer Lisa Levis - bedroom

the home interiors of designer Lisa Levis - bedroom
Lisa's style is effortlessly simple, with a curated selection of retro and vintage finds mixed with contemporary artwork and some of her own designs, and I think it's how she has carefully edited what she has in her home which makes it so beautiful.

Check out the extended version of the interview with Lisa on Katie's blog Apartment Apothecary and find out more about Lisa's work over on Hillside Way, the umbrella brand for her 2 labels Betty and Walter and Ada Rose.

Images by Peachey Photography

xxx

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this! I love the kitchen cupboards and the pops of bright colour, like the blue lamp and the green sofa. Gorgeous! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Lisa's style...so inspiring. what a lovely home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved decoupaged kitchen cupboards, it is such a great idea!
    Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the color combination! Nice job! I loved all the small DIY projects you have done. I had done my home renovation last year. Now i want to do little DIY things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a gorgeous space - I love how it has lots of vintage pieces but feels very contemporary. And the decoupage kitchen cupboards. Wonder if my landlady would allow that .... anyone know what decoupage is in Italian?

    ReplyDelete
  6. White mixed up with old pieces will create a cozy interior. This space is very relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My kind of place! This has to be one of the most stunning homes I've seen. LOVE all the details. Lou x

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover