Monday, December 2, 2013

A peek inside my home

Some of you may have already seen these shots as I posted a link to photographer Kasia Fiszer's blog last week, but if not, Kasia came a few weeks ago to shoot my home for a project she's doing about creative people's personal spaces. My home is definitely not 'photoshoot ready' - we are about to renovate our kitchen and dining room in January so they are a total mess! Kasia focused on our living room, bedroom and my office, so below is a little peek in those rooms. I must admit, I wasn't very prepared for the shoot and didn't do much in the way of styling... I really should have bought some nice flowers and things, but hopefully next year when the renovations are done I'll get some more photos done. I'm SO excited about our new kitchen after 4 years of saving for it! :)

So first this is our living room... the shelving unit is from Laura Ashley about 4 years ago, and the rug was from TK Maxx, but then most other bits here I've picked up at markets and car boot sales. The wooden chair came from a house sale in the South of France! The wooden lamp base I bought in a junk shop in Hastings for £1 and was so chuffed that it worked fine when I got it home!

Vintage style home of Caroline Rowland - Patchwork Harmony / 91 Magazine - Living RoomVintage style home of Caroline Rowland - Patchwork Harmony / 91 Magazine - mason jar, old books
Vintage style home of Caroline Rowland - Patchwork Harmony / 91 Magazine - vintage typewriterThis typewriter has to be one of my best ever car boot sale finds! If my memory serves me rightly I bought it for £5, and it came in a beautiful old carry case too. The metal filing drawers were from The Old Cinema, not such a bargain, but a lovely piece of furniture.

Below, on the mantlepiece, is a camera which was my grandfathers, and the little metal stand in the middle holds the reading one of my best friends read at our wedding. The little blue bowl on the left was bought at Liberty and the clock was a bargain find at Greenwich market many years ago.
Vintage style home of Caroline Rowland - Patchwork Harmony / 91 Magazine - Living Room

My bedroom was featured on Florence Finds a few months, so you may have seen it before, and may recognise the Thornback and Peel pigeon wallpaper! Apart from the wallpaper and the bed, pretty much everything in here is from a market or charity shop. Our wardrobe and drawers were bought in a local charity shop for about £100. One bed side table I bought at a car boot for £5, and the other is an old crate from a local flower shop.

Vintage style home of Caroline Rowland - Patchwork Harmony / 91 Magazine - vintage mirrors grouped on wall

These little box shelves were from Pale and Interesting, and I think I got the stag hooks below from Caravan many years ago.

Vintage style home of Caroline Rowland - Patchwork Harmony / 91 Magazine - Thornback and Peel pigeon wallpaper

Vintage style home of Caroline Rowland - Patchwork Harmony / 91 Magazine - Bedroom

Next is the Patchwork Harmony / 91 Magazine headquarters! This is where I spend the majority of my time these days! :) I haven't done much to this room decor wise, and it is pretty stuffed full of 'stuff' but it will be getting a little makeover in the new year too, so I'll keep you posted on that! 
These little shelves were another charity shop find which were originally a horrible dark blue colour, so I just gave them a few coats of paint. Another one of my grandfathers cameras sits alongside a stack of washi tapes and the little tin on the bottom shelf was what we had our rings in at our wedding.

Vintage style home of Caroline Rowland - Patchwork Harmony / 91 Magazine -  home office My chair was another bargain boot sale purchase, which also had a paint makeover treatment! It was originally painted black and flaking really badly. The table was given to us by our lovely ex landlady.

Vintage style home of Caroline Rowland - Patchwork Harmony / 91 Magazine -  home office

Vintage style home of Caroline Rowland - Patchwork Harmony / 91 Magazine - old frame as pinboardVintage style home of Caroline Rowland - Patchwork Harmony / 91 Magazine - inspiration wall and sewing machine The drop leaf table in the above pic, we found left next to the bins at our old flats, so we saved it! I'm still pondering whether I should paint it...

I love this little mini suitcase! I bought this at a vintage market and we used it at our wedding for our guests to leave cards in. I lined the inside with Liberty wrapping paper....

Vintage style home of Caroline Rowland - Patchwork Harmony / 91 Magazine - vintage findsLastly, here is one shot from our dining room. The rest of the room is awaiting renovation, boxes, bikes and other clutter are everywhere, so this is all we can show! :) Again this mantlepiece is scattered with market and car boot finds. I made the cigarette card bunting myself, and the little photoframe has the first picture me and the other half had taken together - 11 years ago this month!

Vintage style home of Caroline Rowland - Patchwork Harmony / 91 Magazine - mantelpiece with vintage finds

So, there you go! A bit of a mini tour, but as I say, I will hopefully have more to share in the new year. Thanks Kasia for taking such lovely pics! 

xxx

11 comments:

  1. Your home is exquisite. I especially love the living room and the display shelf in your office. You have so many lovely things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely the home of a creative person! Love all those random antique market finds, especially the typewriter. You have a lovely home xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caroline, your home is sooooo pretty! I love every photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have some really nice things in your home, really bright and colourful. I like the small collection of mirrors you have on the wall, an idea I've been thinking about for a while but I wasn't too sure if it would work, it certainly does though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your home is beautiful I love the Thornback and Peel wallpaper it's one of my favourite designs ever!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow your home is just beautiful, so many wonderful finds and lovely things! I love the colour of the metal filing drawers and typewriter and such a gorgeous inspiration wall. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really nice Caroline, we share the same taste when it comes to decorating our homes. Super cosy and relaxed, love the pigeons wallpaper, very London haha...and your office and collection of vintage finds.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am in love with your home! It is so fun and coloufrul, love the shabby chic furniture! There are so many interesting details, I really liked the mini suitcase. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your home is so beautiful! I love your workroom and the bright pink chair.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A lovely place. It looks so cosy and peaceful. I hope you never have to relocate as it will be very hard to pack all these items in one day. But if for some reason you do, I highly recommend Removals Cricklewood

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have a really beautiful house, consistently decorated and designed. I love it!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover